Follow exactly the following steps as showing in above video:
- Connect your Moto E on WiFi and open a web browser.
- Click on this link to install the Network app.
- Insert a GSM SIM card.
- Open Settings, More under Wireless & networks, Cellular networks and now you're in the "Cellular network settings" page. Don't touch the back button; instead, touch the home button so later you can easily return to this page.
- Turn on Airplane mode.
- Open the Network app, switch to LTE/GSM auto (PRL), then touch on "TURN ON RADIO" - just once and ignore what happens afterward.
- Return to the early "Cellular network settings" page by touching the square button at the right side. Touch "Preferred network type" and you have the 4G/3G/2G options that you've been dreaming for.
- Turn off Airplane mode and you're in. You don't need to redo it after a reboot or power cycle, but you do after a SIM swap. Thank jet360 on mitbbs.
1. adb method
This method is the best if you have a PC around. Like above method, you don't need to redo it after a reboot or power cycle.
- Install the USB drivers for Moto E.
- Enable adb USB on Moto E.
- Download a root package that has adb included, such as this one. Unzip it into a folder, say, c:\adb.
- Connect your phone to the PC, run the following commands from c:\adb:
adb shell "settings put global preferred_network_mode 9"
adb shell "settings put global preferred_network_mode1 9"
adb shell "settings put global preferred_network_mode2 9"
Obviously, you can make a DOS batch file to run these commands.
2. No PC required
This method is handy when you need to swap to a GSM SIM card while no PC available, but you need to redo it after a reboot or SIM swap.
- Install the Network app and open it after a GSM SIM inserted.
- Under "Set preferred network type", select the third from the bottom, i.e.:
- Then select immediately the second from the bottom, i.e.:
[update] If the phone still cannot pick up a GSM service after the 4G option checked: open the Network app, enter the menu at the top right corner and select radio band to "USA Band". Thank Supergo.