AWB: A -1 and M -1.
ISO Limit Set: 3200. The default is "OFF", then it is limited to 800, too low for indoor.
These two are disabled by default for good reasons. I.R. makes video grainy, better keep it off, at least never set it to "high" for video.
Some default focus settings suck, must be changed to the followings (QUICK AF ON etc.):
All above tweaks apply to both stills and video. Now turn the wheel to P or A (if you know what it is) and start your fun.
The following samples show the situations that Panasonic usually cannot handle well.
High ISO (6400, i.e. low light):
Hack Firmware for Better Video
- Download G3 firmware and PTool here.
- Download my hack here.
- Unzip these 3 files into the same folder: ptool3.exe, G3___V12.bin and setf.ini.
- Run ptool3.exe, Load Firmware (G3___V12.bin), click button "F", Save Firmware as G3___V13.bin.
- Copy G3___V13.bin to a SD card, insert it into G3, turn it on, press the green Playback button, select Yes, OK.
That's it. Feel free to check or uncheck these four items, based on your location:
- 96Mb (6 x 16Mb), actual bitrate up to 50 mb - truly broadcast grade.
- 45Mb limit on both top and bottom for uniform IQ across frame.
- Quantizer 12 (vs. 20) for the least image compression.
- GOP 6 (I-B-B-P-B-B-I) for the optimal IQ and motion.
- Equal quality I, P and B frames.
- 6x GOP tables for the best AQ control.
- Stable and absolutely reliable 4GB spanning.
- 1080i play fine on camera.
720p cannot be played in camera, because of using B frames, but can be deleted on camera (if not, turn camera off and on).
I have fully tested this hack, with stress charts and real life shooting. First, let's compare it to the Sony SLT-A35 and see how much better ours is:
You can download the original MTS files here and here. This is the indoor sample:
These analysis shows how great this hack is (very tall I frames). PAL produces better IQ at lower bitrate than NTSC, due to less frames per second (25 vs. 30):
I believe this hack work for GF2 too, but I no longer have one to test with.
If you want to tweak your own hack, you need to display this image on your monitor and set the monitor's brightness to the highest. Then put your camera as close as possible to the monitor and shoot at it. Keep the camera still, no any movement. 20 seconds is enough to get a good analysis with GH13 Stream Parser 2.6. The taller the "I" frames, the better the IQ. Then shoot for about 45 minutes to see if any error will occur and spanning will fail.
Check this thread for feedback on this hack:
My earlier articles regarding G3:
Time to upgrade to panasonic G3
Sony SLT A35 is no compare to Panasonic G3