Saturday, February 20, 2016

Tweaks for iStereo

I bought this iStereo clock radio from Walmart several years ago for only $30. Although priced low to the bottom, it is actually a high-end box with very good material and building quality in and out. The sound is not great but not bad at all.


 Why such a high-end box sold for so cheap? Mostly due to its unique feature or design flaw: it detects input audio level and, if audio level is low enough for several minutes, it turns off the power.


The fix is very simple. You may even add a switch to enable and disable this feature. See this video for details:



Another bad thing, learned from Bose Wave, is that it cannot do anything without a remote. And, the remote uses a button battery that's expensive and does not last long. So I had to do this as well, as always, for anything that uses unnecessarily button batteries:




9 comments:

  1. 多谢,回去试试。

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post! But what do you mean by "wire a 220 om resistor on the left two pins"? What does this "left" mean? I can see above "Q1" there are 3 pins. But is this left of "R25" or the left of "Q1"? BTW, where can I get a 220 om resistor? Would you please recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you look at the picture with "Q1" reading normally, I meant the left two pins of Q1. I believe a wire is just fine, it is just my habit of using a small resistor instead of a wire to avoid unexpected short-circuit.

      Delete
    2. I've connected a 220 om resistor there. It shows that the auto-shutdown stops working but I can't make it standby. If I turn off it thru remote controller, it turns on automatically in a few seconds and keeps on. Did I do something wrong?

      If this is not a common problem, could you send me an email to discuss?

      Delete
    3. Interesting, I just checked, mine does the same - can no longer stay off. I'll look into this issue.

      Delete
  3. 很多年前看了您的贴子买了俩个ip915,多年来使用良好是家中最爱。本周其中一台忽然接了电源再也打不开了,电源线无问题,如果我想自己修理,从哪下手检查?谢谢您以前的推荐,一直受益非浅。节日快乐!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 应该是先找保险丝,我不记得有没有了。

      Delete
  4. I just picked one up at a yard sale . there where packing up they wanted 5 for it i had a 20 they had no change got it for free . will do the auto off fix as I am using it with my computer . the sound is great

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a remote of the istereo Ip 915 who CAN send me that ? My contact medinaloicy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete